Forum list. Calendar Articles, reviews and editorials. Pictures Listen to music and watch videos. See a listing of our DJ's / Producers.
Join our community and access additional features.Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences.View a list of our members.Answers to some frequently asked questions about using the message board.SearchFind all of the latest posts since your latest visit.Private messagingLog out of the message board Make the board look like a Word document Switch to layout optimized for mobile phones
Username: Password: 

Last Thread   Next Thread

Groovanauts.com > Music Forums > Record Promo / DJ'ing / Production > Technics SL-DZ 1200 CD
Author

Twitter Facebook MySpace Digg
Post New Thread   
translucent
Webmaster
Lord of Laziness

Find other members from United States   This member is single. To change your relationship status, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences. This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.
Top 10 List: < click >

Technics SL-DZ 1200 CD

(earplug.com) While Technics prepares to celebrate the 30th Anniversary of its iconic MK1200 turntable in America next year, the company is quietly readying a new product that might be yet another nail in vinyl's coffin. While details are still sketchy on the SL-DZ 1200 CD player, the company unveiled its entry into the CD DJ market at London's Plasa 2003 tradeshow last month, setting off a flurry of speculation and rumors in the DJ community. This much is known to be true: the player utilizes Technics' unrivaled direct drive motor and quartz precision plus an 8" spinning platter modeled on their classic turntable design while adding all sorts of digital multimedia features like sampling, vinyl simulation, pitch lock, and brake speed control. The look and feel is clearly designed to make 1200 users feel right at home. While Technics has yet to officially announce the product's release, some shops are already taking pre-orders for $995, a price slightly lower than the list for Pioneer's hugely popular CDJ1000-MK2, the now-ubiquitous player that many leading DJs have adopted as a booth necessity. (DJP)

"Tresor never sleeps"

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Click Here to See the Profile for translucent Click here to Send translucent a Private Message Visit translucent's homepage! Find more posts by translucent Add translucent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
batmissile

Find other members from United Kingdom  

Got any pics of it?

Click Here to See the Profile for batmissile Click here to Send batmissile a Private Message Find more posts by batmissile Add batmissile to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
translucent
Webmaster
Lord of Laziness

Find other members from United States   This member is single. To change your relationship status, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences. This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

"Tresor never sleeps"

Click Here to See the Profile for translucent Click here to Send translucent a Private Message Visit translucent's homepage! Find more posts by translucent Add translucent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
nosOlace

wow! smoooth looking.

Click Here to See the Profile for nosOlace Click here to Send nosOlace a Private Message Visit nosOlace's homepage! Find more posts by nosOlace Add nosOlace to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
momo88

looks great

Click Here to See the Profile for momo88 Click here to Send momo88 a Private Message Visit momo88's homepage! Find more posts by momo88 Add momo88 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
andrewcasric

i so want this is it out properly yet ?

Check out my mixes at www.andrewcasric.com

Click Here to See the Profile for andrewcasric Click here to Send andrewcasric a Private Message Visit andrewcasric's homepage! Find more posts by andrewcasric Add andrewcasric to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
uberclkgtr
stroking your pretty feathers

Find other members from United States  

yes, it's out.

occasional provider of half-decent posts

listen to sour milk or punchy nuggets part of a balanced breakfast

Click Here to See the Profile for uberclkgtr Click here to Send uberclkgtr a Private Message Visit uberclkgtr's homepage! Find more posts by uberclkgtr Add uberclkgtr to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
rajdeep

I still have to test run these babies but apart from the moving platter I still need to be convinced why these are better than the CDJ1000s. Note: a moving platter is not necessarily a good thing.

Here's a vide clip : http://www.sl-1200.com/dz/cf.mpg

Raj
rajdeep.net v2.0 now online and showcasing Side AA
LEVEL :: Progressive Weekly :: Toka Lounge :: rajdeep Ori Tails James

Click Here to See the Profile for rajdeep Visit rajdeep's homepage! Find more posts by rajdeep Add rajdeep to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
andrewcasric

nice thanls for the videos

Click Here to See the Profile for andrewcasric Click here to Send andrewcasric a Private Message Visit andrewcasric's homepage! Find more posts by andrewcasric Add andrewcasric to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
spin
I LUFF RISE

i think sander has been toying around with these bad boys for a while now, got his hands on them for testing.

"Rise in Boston is, for me, one of the most important clubs in North America right now. It is the complete opposite of all the glammed-up, bottle-service clubs that have spread like wildfire. The emphasis is on the music, the loyal customers who attend, the sound, etc etc. All the things that I feel are so important, yet are so sadly neglected in way too many places these days. It's always a pleasure to play at Rise - I know I'll be given the best platform to do what I do to the best of my ability, in one of the friendliest and most welcoming of environments."

Danny Howells
Dig Deeper, UK

WWW.RISECLUB.US

Last edited by spin on 05-26-2004 at 03:05 PM

Click Here to See the Profile for spin Click here to Send spin a Private Message Find more posts by spin Add spin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
andrewcasric

he has hope he will be as good as zabiela on em

Elektronkind

I recently posted a review of this on the Buzzboard:

http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37078

/dale

Ambient and Psytrance mixes
http://elektronkind.org/mixes/

Click Here to See the Profile for Elektronkind Click here to Send Elektronkind a Private Message Visit Elektronkind's homepage! Find more posts by Elektronkind Add Elektronkind to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Sebastian Ryan

Find other members from United States  

Question

How Recent?

Click Here to See the Profile for Sebastian Ryan Click here to Send Sebastian Ryan a Private Message Find more posts by Sebastian Ryan Add Sebastian Ryan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
rajdeep

I'm going to quote Elektronkind since it's a really good review.

Impressions of the Technics SL-DZ1200 CD turntable

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This afternoon I headed down to Chuck Levins Music Center in Wheaton on a whim to play with some synths and A/B some new studio monitors I'm thinking of getting. While in the Pro Audio shop I spied a Technics SL-DZ1200 CD turntable, and so I grabbed a CD from my car and took it for a spin.

Now, I've been a Pioneer CDJ user all my DJ life, starting with the CDJ-100s years ago and last year upgrading to the CDJ-1000Mk2 models. With this in mind, here are my impressions of Technic's first entry into the CDJ world:

The unit layout itself
The size of the SL-DZ12000 suprised me, it is actually a smaller form factor than I had envisioned from the pictures I've seen of it, it being thinner and of smaller dimension than the Pioneer CDJ-1000.

The top portion of the unit has two main clusters of buttons. The left side offers red back-lit sampler and hot cue buttons, and the right side offers memory management/recall buttons for samples, tracks, or stored cue points which are stored on the unit's removable Secure Digital media card.

The center of course is dominated by the approx 9" outside diameter faux turntable with the inner portion sports the main LCD readout, track selection and seach buttons, as well as the loop in, loop out, and reloop buttons (the former two are illuminated)

Next to the platter on the left side sports your traditional Technical red strobe which has its own on/off switch, and PLAY and CUE large rectangle buttons. The Bottom right side holds the pitch slider, slider lock button, pitch lock (aka MASTER TEMPO) button, and tempo width selection button offering 8%, 14%, 25% and 50% increments if I remember correctly.

The forward/reverse play switch is large and is positioned where the tone arm lock would be on your classic SL-1200 turntable.

Primary Functions
The SL-DZ1200 has your two basic modes - CDJ and Vinyl. These modes are selectable by a small slide switch (awkwardly) located on the back of the unit. Unlike the CDJ-1000, switching between modes cannot be done on-the-fly, that is, if switched while a CD is in play, the CD stops playing and PLAY needs to be hit again to start it playing.

In VINYL mode, the faux turntable spins and its RPM is in accordance to where the pitch slider is. The turntable responds to downward pressure (braking) and pushing and pulling (scratching when done fast, rubber-banding when done slow.)

CDJ mode responds like your typical CDJ, with no response to downward pressure on the turntable and speeding up or down the track when the platter is pushed or pulled. The faux turntable DOES NOT spin when the unit is in CDJ mode.

The Looping functions worked as expected and I was able to scratch a loop I had playing. I didn't have a watch with me, so I don't now how long of a loop can be made.

The Sampler was a little fun. You put the unit into "record mode" and hit one of the numbered sampler buttons to begin recording a sample from the currently playing track. Hitting it again stops the recording. To play back the sample, you must turn the record mode off, and then hit the numbered sample button to play it back over top of the currently playing track.

Usability
Okay, be forewarned, here is where you'll see some of my years of using Pioneer gear come in, but I'm trying to be as objective as possible with an eye on overall practicality and ergonomics of the Technics SL-DZ1200.

All things considered, the SL-DZ1200 packs a lot of functionality into a small space. It's the first table-top CDJ that I know of which has a built-in sampler and uses industry standard Secure Digital media cards for storing information and (I believe) playing MP3s. Its styling is also an eye-catcher. My eye immediately picked it out among the other Pioneer, Gemini, and American DJ CDJs in the store.

The digitaly-effected scratching sounded pretty spot on, and there were no annyoing skips or gaps when triggering a sample or reversing the track.

But there were some cons, and unfortunately in my mind these are cons that made me appreciate my CDJ-1000s from Pioneer.

For one, the majority of the buttons were too closely positioned and many were without any sort of illumination. The track selection and search buttons irked me the most. Positioned along the inside of the turntable below the LCD, these buttons were butt up aginast each other and impossibly small. They looked more at home on a Walkman than a piece of DJ equipment. They were also not illuminated. The small black-on-silver labeling was hard to read even in the daylight.

The LCD was another major sore point with me. It is *small* and hard to read when looking at it at an angle. It was not very "eye friendly". This is why I prefer the active L*E*D display that Pioneer uses. There is a button to the right of the LCD display that allows you to rotate the orientation of the LCD contents in 90-degree increments. The value of this seemed dubious to me, since you don't necessarily have to play this CDJ "Battle style" and altering the orientation did not do anything to help readability at angles. Holding down the orientation button gave you access to contrast settings for the LCD, but adjusting that did nothing useful in the daylight.

Unlike the CDJ-1000 which allows you to adjust both the breaking and release speed with two prominent knobs, the SL-DZ1200 allows you to configure only the braking speed, and the knob for this is located next the the RCA outputs on the back of the unit. Obviously, it's not something that Technics thinks you should fool with while DJing.

Overall Impression
If pressed, I would give Technics's first offering in the CDJ world 3 pointy fingers out of 5.

The SL-DZ1200 seems rather physically sturdy, and the digital features are great. But it seems Technics got too lost in the forest by making it look and feel like their traditional vinyl turntables. In going this route, they sacrificed usability and work-flow by focusing more on styling. Very unfortunate. I may be old-fashioned, but I like my tools accessable rather than any bling factor, which it seems that the latter is what Technics was after.

If you are in the market for a digital CD turntable, and especially if you are coming off of years of exclusive wheel of steel piloting, I really suggest you try the Pioneer CDJ-800 or 1000 models first before trying the SL-DZ1200. Perhaps the differences I detailed above will become apparent. Your patience in moving over to CDJ from vinyl may be relaxed as a result.

/dale

Raj
rajdeep.net v2.0 now online and showcasing Side AA
LEVEL :: Progressive Weekly :: Toka Lounge :: rajdeep Ori Tails James

Click Here to See the Profile for rajdeep Visit rajdeep's homepage! Find more posts by rajdeep Add rajdeep to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
wes xfade records

I think these are awesome..! Just down to opinion though aint it guys..? :lovebirds

Check out our website for some of the best online deals around.We also have a message board powered by EZBOARD.

www.xfaderecords.co.uk

[+44](0)151-2551-808

Click Here to See the Profile for wes xfade records Click here to Send wes xfade records a Private Message Find more posts by wes xfade records Add wes xfade records to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Human Nature
Tech 'n' Lectro!

Find other members from Antarctica   This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

I watched Laurent Garnier make sweet sweet love to a set of these at Amnesia last night.

Most of the big DJs I have seen this summer are playing exclusivly CDs. Vinyl is deffinetly on its way out. There is just too much you can do with a good set of CD decks anymore.

Myspace.com/humannaturemusik

Click Here to See the Profile for Human Nature Click here to Send Human Nature a Private Message Visit Human Nature's homepage! Find more posts by Human Nature Add Human Nature to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
mike swells
hoodie season

Find other members from United States   This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

i've got an extra one of these, brand new, sealed in its original box. I am selling it for $800. shoot me an email if you're interested...

mikeswells@yahoo.com

Click Here to See the Profile for mike swells Click here to Send mike swells a Private Message Visit mike swells's homepage! Find more posts by mike swells Add mike swells to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
mike swells
hoodie season

Find other members from United States   This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

BUMP!

nearly a year later, and I've still not done anything to sell this bad larry.

Are you in the market? I have two for sale... one used, the other unused. Shoot me a PM and make me an offer...

Click Here to See the Profile for mike swells Click here to Send mike swells a Private Message Visit mike swells's homepage! Find more posts by mike swells Add mike swells to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote