Forum list. Calendar Articles, reviews and editorials. Pictures Listen to music and watch videos. See a listing of our DJ's / Producers.
Join our community and access additional features.Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences.View a list of our members.Answers to some frequently asked questions about using the message board.SearchFind all of the latest posts since your latest visit.Private messagingLog out of the message board Make the board look like a Word document Switch to layout optimized for mobile phones
Username: Password: 

Last Thread   Next Thread

Groovanauts.com > Everything Else > Electronics / Games / Science / Technology > America's Army
Author

Twitter Facebook MySpace Digg
Post New Thread   
DJ TRANSCEND
transcendentalist

Find other members from South Korea  
Top 10 List: < click >

America's Army

New U.S. Army game is 'tip of the spear'

Special Forces unit added to realistic military title

By Daniel Sieberg
CNN Headline News
Wednesday, September 24, 2003 Posted: 1:44 PM EDT (1744 GMT)

Daniel Sieberg holds empty shells in front of one of the U.S. Army's simulation buildings.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Story Tools
____
____
------------------------------------------------------------------------
YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS

HLN Big Video Game Hunting

Video Games

U.S. Army
Activate or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

NEAR FORT MCCLELLAN, Alabama (CNN) -- Body armor is heavier than I imagined.

That's my first thought as a member of the U.S. Army's Special Forces team helps me prepare to watch a live-fire exercise on a hot, muggy afternoon in eastern Alabama.

The Army is expanding the first version of its video game, "America's Army," by adding the elite role of the Special Forces into the mix, and members of the media have been invited to watch how game developers get close to the action for added realism.

And I feel pretty close, all right.

Inside a wooden simulation building, we position ourselves along an overhead walkway about 4 feet above the action. I'm hoping none of the soldiers on the ground slips, since nothing stands between a stray bullet and me. (Team leaders promise us they're expert sharpshooters with sturdy boots.)

After a five-second countdown, the four-member group breaches the door below with explosives. Despite wearing earplugs and bracing for the impact, it's a jarring event.

They storm the first room with M4 semi-automatic guns, shoot at targets, and call out commands to work in unison. The entire structure is cleared within two minutes, and dozens of empty shells lie scattered about the floor.

It's the closest I've been to any military assault, and while it's hard to imagine that a video game could ever reproduce the volatile, dangerous nature of actual combat, the in-house team behind the Army's latest title says that's what they're trying to do -- while admonishing that nothing can substitute for the real thing.

The original "America's Army" game was released July 4, 2002, and the Army is preparing to issue a new download in late October. It will again be free, whether as a download or as a CD-ROM from a recruiting center, and players will be linked over an Internet connection to act as a team.

A U.S. soldier participates in a simulation mission.

Designers say the concept is meant to incorporate many facets of military life, including basic training, marksmanship, life-saving techniques -- all without revealing any tactical or classified information.

Chris Chambers is the deputy director of development behind the game and a former major in the Army. He says he even went to Afghanistan armed with a camera to capture both the terrain and the tension.

Chambers says the game acts as a recruiting tool, but only at the "tip of the spear," to coin a Special Forces phrase about being the first unit of soldiers in a potential combat zone. There is no direct sign-up in the game, and Chambers dispelled any rumors that Army officials monitor the online game to look for potential soldiers.

While Chambers acknowledged that a virtual soldier might not make a good transition to the real military, he says "America's Army" does tap into the mindset of the younger generation and gives them some insight into its operations. If that adds a "cool" factor, he says, then that's OK, too.

"America's Army" is rated "T" for Teen, and Army officials say the new game with Special Forces operations will retain that rating and keep the parental controls. That includes eliminating any blood from the game and deciding which missions can be carried out.

Strap your helmet on, soldier: Keep watching "Big Video Game Hunting" every Thursday on CNN Headline News as we'll take you behind the scenes of the U.S. Special Forces exercise.

Dismissed.

Amerciasarmy.com
This game looks pretty badass. Very impressed with the graphics.
Best of all, this game is free for download by the US Army. But downloading this game will be a hassel. Servers are overloaded most of the time. I'm still trying to get this damn game.
Reviews say you can't get any more realistic than this. It supports online play.
You tom clancy fans will probably love this. I haven't even downloaded this game yet and I think i'm already falling in love with this.
By the way, any of you guys get Tom Clancy's Island Thunder for the XBOX?

One last thing. Windows/Mac compatible

64 BIT MONSTER

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Click Here to See the Profile for DJ TRANSCEND Click here to Send DJ TRANSCEND a Private Message Find more posts by DJ TRANSCEND Add DJ TRANSCEND to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Puffa
Glowsticka

I played the first one. It was fun... its really just a recruitment tool tho...

Click Here to See the Profile for Puffa Click here to Send Puffa a Private Message Visit Puffa's homepage! Find more posts by Puffa Add Puffa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
translucent
Webmaster
Lord of Laziness

Find other members from United States   This member is single. To change your relationship status, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences. This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Originally posted by Puffa
I played the first one. It was fun... its really just a recruitment tool tho...

They should have made it more realistic...the player would have to sit there for days before anything whould happen. You'd have to shine boots and dig trenches for hours at a time.

"Tresor never sleeps"

Click Here to See the Profile for translucent Click here to Send translucent a Private Message Visit translucent's homepage! Find more posts by translucent Add translucent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Puffa
Glowsticka

Originally posted by translucent
They should have made it more realistic...the player would have to sit there for days before anything whould happen. You'd have to shine boots and dig trenches for hours at a time.

Yeah, lol... thats what I love about armed forces advertising... they show the unreality of military life, the job that 1 in a 100 get to do.

For every M1-A tank driver theres a hundred guys who set up and clean port-a-potties....

and for every jet fighter pilot theres a guy who pulls the blocks away from the wheels...

It would be great in the game if you performed poorly, you get demoted, and have to simulate peeling potatos in first person...

Click Here to See the Profile for Puffa Click here to Send Puffa a Private Message Visit Puffa's homepage! Find more posts by Puffa Add Puffa to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
DJ TRANSCEND
transcendentalist

Find other members from South Korea  

damn.
didnt know it was that bad.
TOO realistic I guess.

64 BIT MONSTER

Click Here to See the Profile for DJ TRANSCEND Click here to Send DJ TRANSCEND a Private Message Find more posts by DJ TRANSCEND Add DJ TRANSCEND to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote