Forum list. Calendar Articles, reviews and editorials. Pictures Listen to music and watch videos. See a listing of our DJ's / Producers.
Join our community and access additional features.Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences.View a list of our members.Answers to some frequently asked questions about using the message board.SearchFind all of the latest posts since your latest visit.Private messagingLog out of the message board Make the board look like a Word document Switch to layout optimized for mobile phones
Username: Password: 

Last Thread   Next Thread

Groovanauts.com > Music Forums > Record Promo / DJ'ing / Production > DJ's How do you organize your record collection?
Author

Twitter Facebook MySpace Digg
Post New Thread   
Panagiotis
Long days pleasant nights

Find other members from Greece   This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.
Top 10 List: < click >

DJ's How do you organize your record collection?

I just decided to try and manage my record collection. I'ts been a while since i have done something so difficult, confusing, and annoying.

Since different artists (and similar artists) often come out with different genres of music, i find it difficult to put everything in alphabetical order because some artists/tracks i just am not familiar with.

I thought about putting everything in Label order, but i ran into some problems since theres just too many record labels out there.

Finally i figured i would just try to separate the main genres of music, (House, Tribal, Progressive, Trance, Techno, Breaks, Rap, Rock, Other) and then work from there to sub categorize stuff, and then within each genre i would mentally make a note of the older tracks and place them in the back of the stack, working my way up to the newer tracks so that way i can always have the newest tracks of each genre of music to my very easy disposal.
Its just my way of getting around the mess of having to stack, sort, find records and tracks.....

What are your ways of organization DJ's?

http://www.thedjlist.com/djs/PANAGIOTIS

-------------GOD is a DJ ---------------

www.panagiotisdj.com

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Click Here to See the Profile for Panagiotis Click here to Send Panagiotis a Private Message Visit Panagiotis's homepage! Find more posts by Panagiotis Add Panagiotis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
dee

Find other members from United States  

by labels.

Click Here to See the Profile for dee Click here to Send dee a Private Message Find more posts by dee Add dee to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
heider

newer stuff to the front

"Fight for survival...I'm an everyday junglist."

Click Here to See the Profile for heider Click here to Send heider a Private Message Find more posts by heider Add heider to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
yallzrcrazy
answering phones....putting letters in envelopes

like rob in the movie "high fidelity"...biographically. i take my one record, timo maas' to get down, and think about the time i bought it, then put it in the cabinet. very methodical.

"you are the gayest monster since gay came to gayville."
-master shake

18 days until yallzr22....the most boring age in history.

Click Here to See the Profile for yallzrcrazy Click here to Send yallzrcrazy a Private Message Find more posts by yallzrcrazy Add yallzrcrazy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
translucent
Webmaster
Lord of Laziness

Find other members from United States   This member is single. To change your relationship status, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences. This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Ever see the movie Party Girl? The Dewey Decimal System!

"Tresor never sleeps"

Click Here to See the Profile for translucent Click here to Send translucent a Private Message Visit translucent's homepage! Find more posts by translucent Add translucent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Royce Haven

Find other members from Afghanistan  

I have sooo many fucking records which make it hard to orgainze. I had to give a few of my crates to my freind to hold at his house because there is no more room in mine. I use to orgainze my records by labels, genere's, artists etc. but it gets frustrating when you have a gig the night before and having to sort thourgh all those reocords can be a big pain in the ass. Now the way I organize them is by how frequent I play them at my gigs. This system so far is the best solution for me.

"Here's my counter-offer to your counter-offer: go fuck yourself."

GrooveCast 006
www.myspace.com/djroycehaven

Last edited by Royce Haven on 10-28-2003 at 06:27 PM

Click Here to See the Profile for Royce Haven Click here to Send Royce Haven a Private Message Find more posts by Royce Haven Add Royce Haven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Panagiotis
Long days pleasant nights

Find other members from Greece   This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Originally posted by Royce Haven
I have sooo many fucking records which make it hard to orgainze. I had to give a few of my crates to my freind to hold at his house because there is no more room in mine. I use to orgainze my records by labels, genere's, artists etc. but it gets frustrating when you have a gig the night before and having to sort thourgh all those reocords can be a big pain in the ass. Now the way I organize them is by how frequent I play them at my gigs. This system so far is the best solution for me.

exactly.. the only difference in the way i sort them is that i put them into a few major categories.. like, house, trance, progressive, and then i put the ones i play the most in the front of each category... its such a pain when you have soooooooo many records to deal with..

http://www.thedjlist.com/djs/PANAGIOTIS

-------------GOD is a DJ ---------------

www.panagiotisdj.com

Click Here to See the Profile for Panagiotis Click here to Send Panagiotis a Private Message Visit Panagiotis's homepage! Find more posts by Panagiotis Add Panagiotis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Royce Haven

Find other members from Afghanistan  

Originally posted by Panagiotis
exactly.. the only difference in the way i sort them is that i put them into a few major categories.. like, house, trance, progressive, and then i put the ones i play the most in the front of each category... its such a pain when you have soooooooo many records to deal with..

This is a pretty big problem for me now. Im selling a lot more of my older records on Ebay now. Thank god I learned CD mixing now I store a lot of my songs on mp3 which lightens my load.

"Here's my counter-offer to your counter-offer: go fuck yourself."

GrooveCast 006
www.myspace.com/djroycehaven

Click Here to See the Profile for Royce Haven Click here to Send Royce Haven a Private Message Find more posts by Royce Haven Add Royce Haven to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Mike Haddad

Find other members from Lebanon  

lol. This a good post. FUCK! FUCK! FUCK! I can't even organize my life, how the fuck do I organize my music?

http://www.wittytunes.com
http://www.myspace.com/sheeple
http://www.myspace.com/wittytunes
http://www.myspace.com/djmikehaddad

Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Haddad Click here to Send Mike Haddad a Private Message Find more posts by Mike Haddad Add Mike Haddad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Aiko
Softer, Slower, Weaker

Find other members from United States   This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Records are easy -- It's all these live sets on cd I have. They're everywhere!

"I'm sorry for your loss... Your mother was a terribly attractive woman"

If I told you things I did before
told you how I used to be
would you go along with someone like me?
If you knew my story word for word
had all of my history
would you go along with someone like me?

Upcoming Gigs:
[02.07.09] w/ Hybrid @ Love

http://www.myspace.com/danyveltri

Click Here to See the Profile for Aiko Click here to Send Aiko a Private Message Find more posts by Aiko Add Aiko to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
TottallyOff
Why is a raven like a writing desk?

Find other members from Zimbabwe   This member is single. To change your relationship status, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

generes, then by bpm within generes, then by vocal of not.

Vote for Michael Sky on DJ List

Michael Sky's blog

Love is a perky elf dancing a merry little jig and then suddenly he turns on you with a miniature machine gun.

Love is like a snowmobile flying over the frozen tundra that suddenly flips, pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasles come.

DON'T GIVE ME THAT, YOU SNOTTY-FACED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS! SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU TIT! YOUR TYPE REALLY MAKES ME PUKE, YOU VACUOUS, COFFEE-NOSED, MALODEROUS, PERVERT!!!

Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, hange it, melt - upgrade it, charge it, pawn it, zoom it, press it, snap it, work it, quick - erase it, write it, get it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, quick - rewrite it, plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, drag and drop it, zip - unzip it, lock it, fill it, curl it, find it, view it, curl it, jam - unlock it, surf it, scroll it, pose it, click it, cross it, crack it, twitch - update it, name it, read it, tune it, print it, scan it, send it, fax - rename it, touch it, bring it, obey it, watch it, turn it, leave it, stop - format it.

Click Here to See the Profile for TottallyOff Click here to Send TottallyOff a Private Message Visit TottallyOff's homepage! Find more posts by TottallyOff Add TottallyOff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
batmissile

Find other members from United Kingdom  

I have 2 boxes containing 100 records each next to my decks with my best stuff in one box and less so in the other.

The rest of my tunes are sorted alphabetically by genre on shelves. My main boxes are pretty full now so some tunes are going to have to be relegated to the lower shelves!

Cha'mon

Click Here to See the Profile for batmissile Click here to Send batmissile a Private Message Find more posts by batmissile Add batmissile to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
DJnutz

Originally posted by TottallyOff
generes, then by bpm within generes, then by vocal of not.

By BPM??!! That's smart.

I'm all broke down here Kent, it's time to bring the beat back - 04/19/77

Click Here to See the Profile for DJnutz Click here to Send DJnutz a Private Message Visit DJnutz's homepage! Find more posts by DJnutz Add DJnutz to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
TottallyOff
Why is a raven like a writing desk?

Find other members from Zimbabwe   This member is single. To change your relationship status, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Originally posted by DJnutz
By BPM??!! That's smart.
Well, I am tat kind of guy

Vote for Michael Sky on DJ List

Michael Sky's blog

Love is a perky elf dancing a merry little jig and then suddenly he turns on you with a miniature machine gun.

Love is like a snowmobile flying over the frozen tundra that suddenly flips, pinning you underneath. At night the ice weasles come.

DON'T GIVE ME THAT, YOU SNOTTY-FACED HEAP OF PARROT DROPPINGS! SHUT YOUR FESTERING GOB, YOU TIT! YOUR TYPE REALLY MAKES ME PUKE, YOU VACUOUS, COFFEE-NOSED, MALODEROUS, PERVERT!!!

Buy it, use it, break it, fix it, trash it, hange it, melt - upgrade it, charge it, pawn it, zoom it, press it, snap it, work it, quick - erase it, write it, get it, paste it, save it, load it, check it, quick - rewrite it, plug it, play it, burn it, rip it, drag and drop it, zip - unzip it, lock it, fill it, curl it, find it, view it, curl it, jam - unlock it, surf it, scroll it, pose it, click it, cross it, crack it, twitch - update it, name it, read it, tune it, print it, scan it, send it, fax - rename it, touch it, bring it, obey it, watch it, turn it, leave it, stop - format it.

Click Here to See the Profile for TottallyOff Click here to Send TottallyOff a Private Message Visit TottallyOff's homepage! Find more posts by TottallyOff Add TottallyOff to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
skytrancegirl
Thats Ms. Sky to you!

Find other members from United States   This member is a f. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

i have 2 crates full, one i keep all my uk hard house, the other i keep all my trance

Trance... it's a religious experience-sky

" Dancing in the moonlight waiting for the sunrise..im not moving from the dancefloor"

Live. Love. Dance. Trance!- Sky

Click Here to See the Profile for skytrancegirl Click here to Send skytrancegirl a Private Message Find more posts by skytrancegirl Add skytrancegirl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
djhaitae

by color

I organize by color! If it has more then one color, then they are in a special crate that which I painted a rainbow on. Iz' soo coool! So perty! oooh! look at it!

Click Here to See the Profile for djhaitae Click here to Send djhaitae a Private Message Find more posts by djhaitae Add djhaitae to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
hook
captain

records

good stuff in the bag, crap in the closet.

www.jpunch.com
www.systemrecordings.com
www.balancerecordpool.com/
www.sundownrecordings.com
www.globalunderground.co.uk

Level - Definitive J-Punch Remixes - out now on system recordings.
www.systemrecordings.com/jpunch/

Click Here to See the Profile for hook Click here to Send hook a Private Message Visit hook's homepage! Find more posts by hook Add hook to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote