Forum list. Calendar Articles, reviews and editorials. Pictures Listen to music and watch videos. See a listing of our DJ's / Producers.
Join our community and access additional features.Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences.View a list of our members.Answers to some frequently asked questions about using the message board.SearchFind all of the latest posts since your latest visit.Private messagingLog out of the message board Make the board look like a Word document Switch to layout optimized for mobile phones
Username: Password: 

Last Thread   Next Thread

Groovanauts.com > Content > Party Reviews > Sasha & James Lavelle @ Crobar, NYC (2005-02-04)
Author

Twitter Facebook MySpace Digg
Post New Thread   
Sara2214
Excited for WMC 09!

Find other members from Greece   This member is a f. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.
Top 10 List: < click >

Thumbs up Reivew - Sasha @ Crobar 2/4/05

Review of Sasha @ Crobar – 2/4/05

Well I went into the night with little or no expectation except to just have a good time. I had doubts about Sasha in general but figured I’d “give him another chance” since it had definitely been a while I figured I’d just go with the flow and see how the night went. And it couldn’t have gone better. I was definitely very impressed and the man was great.

I arrived at Crobar around 10:15 (after finding a great parking spot quickly!) to be greeted by Warren who was outside selling tickets. Chatted with him for a bit, and headed in with no problems by 10:30.

I walked in and heard great sounds coming from the room below – and it was Gaaf! He was banging it out. The room was full already (main room wasn’t open) and it was a good crowd and they were loving Gaaf. Saw Gaaf, Jess, a bunch of Gaaf’s friends, met Nosalce (Todd) who’s such a nice lad, saw Charlie – it was great! Gaaf spun till 12 when he then got replaced by horrendous rap and hip hop and we headed into the main room for Three.

I didn’t really pay much attention to Three’s set cause I was running all around until 1, but from what I recall it was OK. Some kinda weird stuff – but definitely better that the hip hop room!

The club really started to fill up at this point – it was packed. I was up front and center for when Sasha began and the place was PUMPED. There was a great vibe and he started out solid. We then headed up to the Mezzanine/VIP Section and had a table front and center with a great view of the club. Very comfortable, very chill. By this time, everyone else was online and from what I heard it was the line from hell. Most people waited about 2 hours and some of my friends event left because people kept paying to cut, etc. Heard it was a complete mess. I think the rest of the posse got in around 1:30.

Sasha was great from 1-3:15. I mean really, really good. I was pleasantly surprised, and very impressed. He had a great vibe going. I feel like it kind of threw it off when James Lavelle came on at 3:00 or so. He was OK – not bad by any means, but not great, seemed kinda all over the place, just changed the dynamic from what Sasha had been doing. He did spin a few good tracks, In a state as well as this song Howells ALWAYS drops (can’t recall the name, got it on video though). But I wish Sasha would have just spun the entire night. Lavelle actually got boring toward the end. Finally, at 5:00, Sasha returned to the decks.

From 5:00 – 7:00 was some of the best music I’ve heard in quite some time. I mean mind blowing, mind twisting, sick tracks. Breaks, hard progressive house, beautiful housier/trancier tracks…a little of everything but it all fit. We were on the dance floor front and center till the end. The club was still very full. He really threw down. Some of the tracks I recognized and others I didn’t. Here are some spots from the end of his set (thanks George):
Killers - Mr. Brightside (unknown mix)
Vector 13 – Rise (encore track)
Dirty Vegas - Walk into the Sun
Naughty Queen - Famous and Rich
Moby - God moving over the face of the Water (unknown mix)

For most of the two hours, and especially toward the end, it was really one of those moments where you just had this silly smile on your face, and though “this is really why I love this”. Like it just reminds me of why I love this so much. It was just a great “club moment”. There were some beautiful moments, where the lights were perfect, the vibe was amazing, the sound was seamless, and it was just awesome. The whole setting was just right. That club is really amazing – especially when I stopped to look around . It has a certain dynamic to it that just makes it a great club. I was saying to George on the way to the car that I don’t go to that many big events at clubs like that anymore because it seems like the scene has in a way moved to smaller/underground lounges, clubs, etc….but I do really miss these type of big nights like that…especially when they’re done right.

Crobar’s really an amazing club – probably the best in NYC, and the only "superclub" left. As long as you arrive early, get a VIP bracelet, and avoid the hip hop room, lol. I also noticed that there was about 90% guys there….which is good and bad, lol. I had some interesting comments thrown at me throughout the night.

So the night ended just past 7am and we headed out. I hadn’t even really expected to stay till end. The night exceed my expectations, was worth every penny of $30, and I had a great time with the music, and chillin with everyone! We had a great group there and I saw lots of peeps out I hadn’t seen him quite some time like Highmay, Charlie, Maron, Igor, my friend Jed, and some others.

So nice to see all of you - IgorB, Sneaky, Bedrock, Charlie, Highmay, Ruben, Dan, Jess, Gaaf, Warren, Shahab, George, Joe Mama, Maron, Todd, Anthony & Mandy. Did I miss anyone? Greg and Andrew – wished you were there!

I definitely want to catch Sasha next time he’s around. It should be interesting to see how it is, considering I heard his last set at Crobar was less than mediocre, yet the one before that was great.

Here are pics. I was a total picture whore that night…still fooling with the new camera – I took almost 200 pics, but after deleting all the bad ones, and others that didn’t come out because of light, I am only posting about 90. I also got 3 good video clips. Oh – and sorry for the red eye.

"Sometimes, we need to listen to our heads rather than our hearts because our hearts leap before they look." [/I]

"Actions speak louder than words."

www.hidden-recordings.com

Last edited by Sara2214 on 02-06-2005 at 06:59 PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Click Here to See the Profile for Sara2214 Click here to Send Sara2214 a Private Message Visit Sara2214's homepage! Find more posts by Sara2214 Add Sara2214 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
translucent
Webmaster
Lord of Laziness

Find other members from United States   This member is single. To change your relationship status, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences. This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Sasha & James Lavelle @ Crobar, NYC (2005-02-04)

Sasha was surprisingly good. I had completely written him off as a has-been prior to Friday. Last time he was at Crobar, his set was mechanical and soulless. While every track was decidedly quality, it was as if he programmed his entire set into Ableton before leaving the house and then just pressed the play button when he got to Crobar. I figured maybe he just needed some time to figure out how to use Ableton, that being his first time using it. So, last Friday, I figured I'd give him another chance for old time's sake. After his set Friday, he won me back as a fan. Maybe he finally read the instruction manual to Ableton Live because he was definitely using its full potential, using the effects and looping capabilities to tweak each track live.

The only gripe I had with the set is that Lavelle took over from about 2am (or 3am, I forgot)-5am and spun what was probably the most jarring, terrible set I've ever heard until maybe the last hour or so of it. Sasha was spinning a surprisingly, banging, funky set that I could best describe as Digweedesqe. He built the energy up to to the roof. Then, James took over and dropped what could be best described as 15minute rock drum solo with a heavy metal flavor. Everyone just stopped in their tracks and looked at one another in confusion. Many people left, not even realizing that Sasha left the decks and was going to return later.

James was so terrible that I had the urge to storm the booth and kick him in the nuts. Lucky for him, I was upstairs and figured it might be a better idea to pop a few pills instead to try and cope until 5am. The first 45mins of Lavelle's set were so juxtaposed to what Sasha was spinning before him that it was hard to believe Lavelle has ever spun live prior to Friday. Even an amateur bedroom DJ can grasp the concept that when you follow another DJ, the first track you drop should be at least similar in style or tempo to what the guy before you was spinning, that if you want to switch styles, you have to ease the audience into it. It was akin to following Luciano Pavarotti with Iron Maiden.

While Lavelle's set might have been ok as an opening set, since the last hour of it was not too bad and finally close in style to what Sasha was spinning, him starting up the way he did made me suspect that perhaps he just burned a CD before leaving the house expecting to open, rather than play in the middle of Sasha's set. Then, he just popped that CD in after Sasha and stared at the pretty lights on the computer monitor, pretending he was actually spinning. Any DJ in their right mind would have noticed that he killed the crowd dead and quickly adjusted with the next track. But no, he kept storming ahead, almost as if he hated us and was trying to ruin our night.

Fortunately, Sasha finally got back on around 5am and saved the night by spinning even better, funkier and harder than the first part of his set. It was like seeing Sasha and Digweed back in Twilo, except it was just one guy...as if Sasha was possessed by Digweed. The floor remained full until the lights came on. Looking around, many people were just standing there with their eyes closed, listening to every note, every beat with utter amazement. I can honestly say that not only is Sasha back, but he’s better than anything he was like since the best of his sets at Twilo. I wish I could just erase the last several years of his career since Twilo shut its doors. Sasha has finally evolved and grabbed his spot as one of the world’s top five DJs that rightfully belongs to him.

"Tresor never sleeps"

Click Here to See the Profile for translucent Click here to Send translucent a Private Message Visit translucent's homepage! Find more posts by translucent Add translucent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Sara2214
Excited for WMC 09!

Find other members from Greece   This member is a f. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Re: Sasha & James Lavelle @ Crobar, NYC (2005-02-04)

Originally posted by translucent

The only gripe I had with the set is that Lavelle took over from about 2am-5am and spun what was probably the most jarring, terrible set I've ever heard until maybe the last hour or so of it. Sasha was spinning a surprisingly, banging, funky set that I could best describe as Digweedesqe. He built the energy up to to the roof. Then, James took over and dropped what could be best described as 15minute rock drum solo with a heavy metal flavor. Everyone just stopped in their tracks and looked at one another in confusion. Many people left, not even realizing that Sasha left the decks and was going to return later.

Fortunately, Sasha finally got back on around 5am and saved the night by spinning even better, funkier and harder than the first part of his set. It was like seeing Sasha and Digweed back in Twilo, except it was just one guy, like Sasha was possessed by Digweed. The floor stayed full until the lights came on. Looking around, many people were just standing there with their eyes closed, listening to every note, every beat with utter amazement. I can honestly say that not only is Sasha back, but he’s than anything he was like since the best of his sets at Twilo. I wish I could just erase the last several years of his career since Twilo shut its doors. Sasha has finally evolved and grabbed his spot as one of the world’s top five DJs that rightfully belongs to him.

I couldnt' agree more. You're 1st paragraph is almost exactly as I explained it in my review . "Digweedesqe" is exactly as I would explain some parts of Sasha's set. Sasha spun from 1-3ish, and Lavelle from 3-5. Lavelle was definitely all over the place and some tracks just did not fit. Some of my friends even left during Lavelle - sucks because then they missed the awesome ending.

Your second paragraph is also as I was explaining it - I definitely had one of those moments on the dancefloor, just standing there, engrossed by the music, taking it all in, having a moment....closed your eyes and you were in another world. I could only hope Sasha's keeps it up as he did on Friday. Being so close to him and watching him with that serious look on his face, he knew what he was doing. He knew he had control of the crowd. He knew he was delivering. And I'm sure he loved creating the wonderful vibe and all the happy faces.

"Sometimes, we need to listen to our heads rather than our hearts because our hearts leap before they look." [/I]

"Actions speak louder than words."

www.hidden-recordings.com

Last edited by Sara2214 on 02-06-2005 at 07:16 PM

Click Here to See the Profile for Sara2214 Click here to Send Sara2214 a Private Message Visit Sara2214's homepage! Find more posts by Sara2214 Add Sara2214 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Metro

Find other members from England  

Great reviews ... it's been a long while since any gig has attracted more than one full-length review. Good to know that Sasha is back on track. Is it going to be worth braving the clusterfuck that I'm sure his Miami set(s) will be though?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you sure you don't want any? Aw go on, you'll have some. Go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on GO ON! Make your transition ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click Here to See the Profile for Metro Click here to Send Metro a Private Message Find more posts by Metro Add Metro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
GirlieGirl
valley of ice

This member is taken or not dating. To change your relationship status, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Originally posted by Metro
Is it going to be worth braving the clusterfuck that I'm sure his Miami set(s) will be though?

Absolutely.

Reasons to come in my review after I finish these buffalo wings...

Click Here to See the Profile for GirlieGirl Click here to Send GirlieGirl a Private Message Find more posts by GirlieGirl Add GirlieGirl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Metro

Hey ... I just had buffalo wings for dinner!

Are you sure you don't want any? Aw go on, you'll have some. Go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on GO ON! Make your transition ...

Click Here to See the Profile for Metro Click here to Send Metro a Private Message Find more posts by Metro Add Metro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
translucent
Webmaster
Lord of Laziness

Find other members from United States   This member is single. To change your relationship status, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences. This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Hmm...haven't had good wings in a while. Too bad I just ordered a pizza.

"Tresor never sleeps"

Click Here to See the Profile for translucent Click here to Send translucent a Private Message Visit translucent's homepage! Find more posts by translucent Add translucent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
GirlieGirl
valley of ice

This member is taken or not dating. To change your relationship status, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Another fanfrickintastic night @ Crobar thanks to Sasha & Co.

Me, Gaaf, Shahab, Todd and Warren got to Crobar around 10-ish. (Well, Warren sold tickets until 11 or so, but here was there in spirit! ) A little later, the lovely Sara joined the gang. Gaaf got behind the decks and did his thang until the main room was opened. Lemme say, the skinny Arab boy ain't much in the navigating NYC department, but he knows how to slap some songs together like WHOA. Special thanks, btw, for dropping "In a State".

After cleaning up and getting scooted off by the shit hip hop dj following Gaaf, we had to wait around for around an hour for our VIP bracelets so we could avoid the clusterfuck in the main room. Good news was, once we got them, we walked right in, past the ropes and in some seats in perfect view of the booth. Bad news was, we missed DJ Three, who was awesome both times I had heard him spin prior to that night.

Sasha played for about an hour and a half and wow - he was awesome. He dropped some funky, plinky stuff with pretty melodies and mean-ass basslines. I spent the entirety of the first half of his set jumping and dancing on the seats. (Don't ask me how I didn't topple over the glass sides) There were very few people in the place not dancing and geniunely enjoying themselves, and the place was absolutely packed with people. Somewhere during that time, Ruben, Dan, George, the fabulous Igors, Joe, Ant and Mandy strolled in. (Fuckers, you wouldn't have had to wait in line so long if you showed up early. )

James Lavelle came on after a while and all I can say about him is "blah." I didn't feel as compelled as Ruben to storm the booth and tank him in the junk, but I did do a lot of wandering, chit-chatting and "keeping busy" in the time he was on. THANKFULLY, I came back into the main room after gallavanting about just in time to hear "In a State" for the second time that night.

Blah, blah, blah, some more James garbage, blah blah, and then Sasha comes back on, finishing out the night smiling at and interacting with the crowd, playing some old goodies and just all-around enjoying himself. Did I mention that he dropped "In a State" again? Lately Sasha has this way of making being awake at 7 am, covered in coats of club funk not so bad, and he always makes the night really special. I know nothing about the man, but I do know that two months ago when I ran over and hugged him randomly, he graciously hugged me back and thanked me for the compliments I gave him. This past Friday, when I asked him to sign my record, he smiled, made eye contact with me and signed my record rather than brushing me away because he was tired from spinning and looking for an afterparty. (It was also really entertaining listening to him say "Oh, thank you" with his British accent, cigarette flopping up and down in his mouth as he autographed my record. ) The man may get a little too crunked some nights, but I do think he's talented as a producer and live dj. I always leave his parties smiling ... and also limping from dancing all night. The fact that he at leasts acts as though he respects his fans makes me like him that much more.

I think anybody debating on whether or not to see him at Crobar, the conference or wherever should know that he's doing some great things lately and I'm not just saying that because he's been spinning the deeeeelicious electro I'm so fond of. The man knows how to throw a party and make people dance. I can call myself a fan of *so few* dj's. There's just so much crap music and crappier "dj's" out there, it's vomit-inducing. But I'm definitely a fan of Sasha's.

Last but not least, a special thanks to Ruben for the ceremonial Krispy Kreme. Sorry I didn't say goodbye, I was delirious by that time.

Till next month!

Last edited by GirlieGirl on 02-06-2005 at 08:56 PM

Click Here to See the Profile for GirlieGirl Click here to Send GirlieGirl a Private Message Find more posts by GirlieGirl Add GirlieGirl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Lust-E
DeathRow

Find other members from Germany   This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Ahem, George....best be giving me cred for spotting The Killers-Mr. Brightside, even though i missed the party.

I'm glad everyone had fun: we were at Cellar Bar and kept hearing all night that it was a total clusterfuck and packed to the gills, so we stayed there because Randall Jones and Astro & Glyde were just too good to leave.

Here we are now...Entertain us!

Click Here to See the Profile for Lust-E Click here to Send Lust-E a Private Message Find more posts by Lust-E Add Lust-E to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
e_bomb
Monster of the Midway

Originally posted by Lust-E
Ahem, George....best be giving me cred for spotting The Killers-Mr. Brightside, even though i missed the party.

Yup - Lust-e spotted that all the way from his bed in Queens at 7am.

Click Here to See the Profile for e_bomb Click here to Send e_bomb a Private Message Find more posts by e_bomb Add e_bomb to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Annie9351
ANSTER!

Find other members from Italy   This member is a f. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

UGH, i always miss the good parties

glad to hear you all had fuN!

D-A-N-N-Y

Danny Howells Quote from his LAST DANCE party at ARC:

"To all of you who came down for my final arc party, I couldn't have asked for a greater way to end what has been the most amazing and unforgettable residency. That was EXACTLY the party I was hoping for ... the Wizard waving his orb from the speaker, the "Danny" girls on the other speaker,... But all I wanted to say was thankyou for being a MAJOR part of what has been an amazing couple of years for me - .... Anyway, I'll leave it at that, but again - thankyou SO MUCH to all of you, I'll miss seeing you every month but, as I've said many times, New York is my favourite city, so don't expect me to ever stay away too long - because I won't.
Much love. Danny xox"

Click Here to See the Profile for Annie9351 Click here to Send Annie9351 a Private Message Find more posts by Annie9351 Add Annie9351 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
team j5

Click Here to See the Profile for team j5 Click here to Send team j5 a Private Message Find more posts by team j5 Add team j5 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Metro

Originally posted by GirlieGirl

Last but not least, a special thanks to Ruben for the ceremonial Krispy Kreme.

Was the Ruben's Extra-Special™ creamy filling as good as you had heard it might be?

translucent
Webmaster
Lord of Laziness

Originally posted by Metro
Was the Ruben's Extra-Special™ creamy filling as good as you had heard it might be?

I gave her the one with my Extra-Special Glaze™ instead

"Tresor never sleeps"

GirlieGirl
valley of ice

I gave her the one with my Extra-Special Glaze™ instead

Eh. Nothing I haven't ingested before. However, I would imagine that Ruben's spunk has a much higher toxicity than your average load of spooj. Hm. I thought I noticed my skin giving off a glow-in-the-dark effect since then.

Lust-E
DeathRow

Find other members from Germany   This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Here we are now...Entertain us!

Click Here to See the Profile for Lust-E Click here to Send Lust-E a Private Message Find more posts by Lust-E Add Lust-E to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
translucent
Webmaster
Lord of Laziness

Eh. Nothing I haven't ingested before. However, I would imagine that Ruben's spunk has a much higher toxicity than your average load of spooj. Hm. I thought I noticed my skin giving off a glow-in-the-dark effect since then.

My spooge must be like a c/e/k cocktail.

"Tresor never sleeps"

GirlieGirl
valley of ice

My spooge must be like a c/e/k cocktail.

You said "cock."

Metro

You said "cock."

Annie9351
ANSTER!

Find other members from Italy   This member is a f. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

nice pics sara! looks like alot of fun....DAMNIT! I HATE MISSING THINGS

D-A-N-N-Y

Danny Howells Quote from his LAST DANCE party at ARC:

"To all of you who came down for my final arc party, I couldn't have asked for a greater way to end what has been the most amazing and unforgettable residency. That was EXACTLY the party I was hoping for ... the Wizard waving his orb from the speaker, the "Danny" girls on the other speaker,... But all I wanted to say was thankyou for being a MAJOR part of what has been an amazing couple of years for me - .... Anyway, I'll leave it at that, but again - thankyou SO MUCH to all of you, I'll miss seeing you every month but, as I've said many times, New York is my favourite city, so don't expect me to ever stay away too long - because I won't.
Much love. Danny xox"

Click Here to See the Profile for Annie9351 Click here to Send Annie9351 a Private Message Find more posts by Annie9351 Add Annie9351 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
JJ

Awesome reviews guys!

-JJ-

"Listen here you beautiful bitch, I'm about to fuck you up with some truth" - Kenny Powers

Click Here to See the Profile for JJ Click here to Send JJ a Private Message Find more posts by JJ Add JJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote