Forum list. Calendar Articles, reviews and editorials. Pictures Listen to music and watch videos. See a listing of our DJ's / Producers.
Join our community and access additional features.Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences.View a list of our members.Answers to some frequently asked questions about using the message board.SearchFind all of the latest posts since your latest visit.Private messagingLog out of the message board Make the board look like a Word document Switch to layout optimized for mobile phones
Username: Password: 

Last Thread   Next Thread

Groovanauts.com > Content > Party Reviews > Sasha @ Avalon, NYC on 12.31.2003
Author

Twitter Facebook MySpace Digg
Post New Thread   
translucent
Webmaster
Lord of Laziness

Find other members from United States   This member is single. To change your relationship status, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences. This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.
Top 10 List: < click >

Sasha @ Avalon, NYC on 12.31.2003

I didn’t think I was ever gonna use “Sasha” and “fucking awesome” in the same sentence ever again after his last few performances. Sasha was fucking awesome. I drove by Avalon around 10pm only to see perhaps the longest line I’ve ever seen at that building. There were people all the way down to the end of the block…and it’s a LONG block. With open bar from 9pm-11pm, every yokel was there for the free booze. Rather than stand in line for a few hours, we decided to pre-party at Vic’s (vicman) friend’s apartment with what seemed like Manhattan’s entire underground Aussie community.

After downing some brews, we decided to head out to Avalon. We got there at about 11:45 to virtually no line. We waited for about 15mins (a very short time for any NY club on NYE) and were inside before we knew it. While Avalon’s staff were top-notch and unusually polite and helpful for a New York club, the patrons were another story. The place was a mob scene. It took us about an hour to check our coats whilst in the cozy atmosphere of a mosh pit. Considering that many of the drunk fools there probably had no idea who the DJ was that night, I wouldn’t have been surprised if people started flailing about, fists in the air chanting “SLAYER!” I guess we were fortunate that there was no room to flail about. I ran into, or rather was pushed by the mob into a liquored up Janette (skytrancegirl). We couldn’t really chat as we were both swept away in opposite directions. The dance floor was no better. We found ourselves a nice spot behind the bar under the DJ booth and called it home for most of the night.

After about 1:30, Avalon started to clear out. It was time for all the tourists who were there for the open bar and to spend NYE at a “big New York nightclub” to go back to their hotels. By this time, Sasha was on fire. His set was surprisingly hard and dark, sounding almost as if it was Digweed spinning up there. Since Digweed happens to be my favorite, I wasn’t complaining. We made a few attempts to wedge ourselves into a spot on the floor but found our way back to our corner each time until about 3am. By then, there was plenty of room to dance as most of the amateurs either called it a night or passed out somewhere out of the way.

We bopped around on the floor until about 5:30 when Sasha started spinning dark breaks. At first, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Before long, the breaks got way too boring and monotonous for my taste. He kept it up until about 7:30. When the music stopped, I was so utterly bored out of my skull that I didn’t even bother sticking around to see if there was to be an encore or to go to the Lot 61 afterhours he was spinning at later. When he dropped Xpander (which I could really do without hearing him spin by now), I figured that was enough.

All in all, a great night. Not counting the 2 or so hours of breaks, Sasha was fantastic. He earned my respect all over again. That Born Slippy vs. Wavy Gravy track was a nice touch.

"Tresor never sleeps"

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Click Here to See the Profile for translucent Click here to Send translucent a Private Message Visit translucent's homepage! Find more posts by translucent Add translucent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
kken
in search of my boy blue

Find other members from South Korea  

Re: Sasha @ Avalon, NYC on 12.31.2003

Originally posted by translucent
Rather than stand in line for a few hours, we decided to pre-party at Vic’s (vicman) friend’s apartment with what seemed like Manhattan’s entire underground Aussie community.

does this mean you actually saw vicman there???

good review! did you get to see the simulcast with digweed on the west coast at all? or did that not happen? i'm really bad at judging space volume but i thought avalon was about same size as nation... which for dc is big but for nyc would seem small. no surprise it was packed up da hizzy.

"it's got a funky beat... and i can BUG OUT to it!"

Click Here to See the Profile for kken Click here to Send kken a Private Message Find more posts by kken Add kken to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
translucent
Webmaster
Lord of Laziness

Find other members from United States   This member is single. To change your relationship status, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences. This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Re: Re: Sasha @ Avalon, NYC on 12.31.2003

Originally posted by kken
does this mean you actually saw vicman there???

good review! did you get to see the simulcast with digweed on the west coast at all? or did that not happen? i'm really bad at judging space volume but i thought avalon was about same size as nation... which for dc is big but for nyc would seem small. no surprise it was packed up da hizzy.

LOL! I actually hung out with Vic the whole night without him disappearing.

With Avalon being so packed for most of the night, we searched for the room where the simulcast was supposedly taking place to kill time until it emptied out. We couldn't find it anywhere. None of the staff knew where it was either. They tried to be as helpful as they could but just wound up sending us to the wrong rooms. The main floor was noticeably smaller than it used to be at Limelight. All the side rooms are great, except that the place to be was on the main floor. I would have gladly paid double just for a smaller crowd. $75 was damn cheap for NYE in NY considering that many lounges were charging more than that for the same two hour open bar and DJ Joe Shmoe on the decks instead of Sasha.

"Tresor never sleeps"

Click Here to See the Profile for translucent Click here to Send translucent a Private Message Visit translucent's homepage! Find more posts by translucent Add translucent to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Overseas
Party Traveller

Find other members from Germany  

wow, cool. I totally see your point on 2 hours (8]two[/i] hours!!) of breaks.

I have yet to experience the good part of Sasha. Maybe in Miami.

Glad you had a blast

2002: 64 parties. 2003: 81. 2004: 73. 2005: 75. 2006: 64. 2007: 63. 2008: 36, 2009: 51, 2010: none (yet) except NYE@Berghain.

NYE @Berghain, Berlin 2010: another marathon at 17hrs+ with Adam spinning 8h

45rpm

Click Here to See the Profile for Overseas Click here to Send Overseas a Private Message Find more posts by Overseas Add Overseas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
translucent
Webmaster
Lord of Laziness

It would have been one thing if Sasha dropped the breaks earlier in his set or even if the breaks had any sort of buildup or momentum. But to end an otherwise great set with that was a total disappointment. The crowd visibly had their sails deflated. I was hoping that the breaks were just an interlude all the way up until the last track. By then, I didn't even care anymore and headed for the coatcheck as soon as the needle left the record. If Sasha kept spinning like he was earlier in the night, Avalon would have stayed packed until they turned the lights on. Then again, maybe there was an encore and he did. Unfortunately, for the first time I didn't close an NYE set to find out.

"Tresor never sleeps"

Native
The OG Germexican

Maybe he was trying to clear the place out so he could get back to his hotel room that much quicker. Hehe.

Digweed was spectacular for Avalon's NYE out here in Cali. But I'm sure Gabor already told you that.

I came here to do two things: Chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum...:bugeye

Click Here to See the Profile for Native Click here to Send Native a Private Message Find more posts by Native Add Native to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Annie9351
ANSTER!

Find other members from Italy   This member is a f. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

glad to hear that sasha was surprisingly good (except for the last 2 hours).....i have yet to hear a good set as well - like Andreas said, maybe miami!!!

D-A-N-N-Y

Danny Howells Quote from his LAST DANCE party at ARC:

"To all of you who came down for my final arc party, I couldn't have asked for a greater way to end what has been the most amazing and unforgettable residency. That was EXACTLY the party I was hoping for ... the Wizard waving his orb from the speaker, the "Danny" girls on the other speaker,... But all I wanted to say was thankyou for being a MAJOR part of what has been an amazing couple of years for me - .... Anyway, I'll leave it at that, but again - thankyou SO MUCH to all of you, I'll miss seeing you every month but, as I've said many times, New York is my favourite city, so don't expect me to ever stay away too long - because I won't.
Much love. Danny xox"

Click Here to See the Profile for Annie9351 Click here to Send Annie9351 a Private Message Find more posts by Annie9351 Add Annie9351 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
translucent
Webmaster
Lord of Laziness

Originally posted by Native
Maybe he was trying to clear the place out so he could get back to his hotel room that much quicker. Hehe.

Digweed was spectacular for Avalon's NYE out here in Cali. But I'm sure Gabor already told you that.

LOL! I wouldn't be surrised. He looked pretty hammered by the time he started with the breaks.

I wish I could have at least found the room with the Digweed simulcast. Did you guys take any pics?

"Tresor never sleeps"

Metro

Find other members from England  

Glad you heard a Sasha set you liked, anyway! The next Vandit night (mid Feb) features Sasha and Gabriel & Dresden as the guests DJ's ... I'm really hoping he's going to pull something special out the hat, given he's lining up with pvd and G&D you would think personal pride must make him want to drop a big set...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you sure you don't want any? Aw go on, you'll have some. Go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on GO ON! Make your transition ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click Here to See the Profile for Metro Click here to Send Metro a Private Message Find more posts by Metro Add Metro to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Overseas
Party Traveller

Find other members from Germany  

Originally posted by Metro
The next Vandit night (mid Feb) features Sasha and Gabriel & Dresden as the guests DJ's

excuse me? Who told you that?????

On PvD's site there is no mention of Sasha. See the flyer:

2002: 64 parties. 2003: 81. 2004: 73. 2005: 75. 2006: 64. 2007: 63. 2008: 36, 2009: 51, 2010: none (yet) except NYE@Berghain.

NYE @Berghain, Berlin 2010: another marathon at 17hrs+ with Adam spinning 8h

45rpm

Click Here to See the Profile for Overseas Click here to Send Overseas a Private Message Find more posts by Overseas Add Overseas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Annie9351
ANSTER!

Find other members from Italy   This member is a f. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

hahaha, andreas is regulating!

D-A-N-N-Y

Danny Howells Quote from his LAST DANCE party at ARC:

"To all of you who came down for my final arc party, I couldn't have asked for a greater way to end what has been the most amazing and unforgettable residency. That was EXACTLY the party I was hoping for ... the Wizard waving his orb from the speaker, the "Danny" girls on the other speaker,... But all I wanted to say was thankyou for being a MAJOR part of what has been an amazing couple of years for me - .... Anyway, I'll leave it at that, but again - thankyou SO MUCH to all of you, I'll miss seeing you every month but, as I've said many times, New York is my favourite city, so don't expect me to ever stay away too long - because I won't.
Much love. Danny xox"

Click Here to See the Profile for Annie9351 Click here to Send Annie9351 a Private Message Find more posts by Annie9351 Add Annie9351 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
Sara2214
Excited for WMC 09!

Find other members from Greece   This member is a f. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

Glad you had fun! I was thinking of you as we saw Sasha on the screen at Digweed in LA! My review is coming...don't worry! I had a PHENOMINAL NIGHT AS WELL. Absolutely amazing.
What time did Sasha end? 7:30?

"Sometimes, we need to listen to our heads rather than our hearts because our hearts leap before they look." [/I]

"Actions speak louder than words."

www.hidden-recordings.com

Click Here to See the Profile for Sara2214 Click here to Send Sara2214 a Private Message Visit Sara2214's homepage! Find more posts by Sara2214 Add Sara2214 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote
vicman
Commie Tax Hiker

Find other members from Mexico   This member is a m. To change your gender indicator, click on the Prefs button at the top of the page and edit your preferences.

basically translucent summarized it quite well. sasha was great, totally didnt mind spending the $80 on the tix. the only complaint I had was the mayhem once we got into Avalon with the coatcheck and stuff, I wouldnt have minded staying at the pre-party a couple of more hours and chugging down brews with all of those aussies, pretty great time overall !!

joeygk & thomar were in the house as well for those who have met them.

vicman ~ fastest in all of mexico

NOW LISTENING TO:

Flight 643 (Oroginal Mix) - Tiesto ~~~ EPIC!!!

That Look - DeLacy (Tsettos & Santana mix) - Denny Tsettos ~~~ MASSIVE!!!

Let The Sun Shine (JP Remix) - Fifth Dimension ~~~ FIERCE!!!

Air For Life (System F redub) - Andy Moore and Above and Beyond ~~~ MAGICAL!!!

When Epicness is Missing From Your Life - EPICRX IS THERE FOR YOU. RECOMMENDED AND ENDORSED BY ANDY MOORE.

"I don't feel old. I don't feel anything till noon. That's when it's time for my nap." ~ Andy 'muthafokin' Moore

"When I need my weather, there is only one place I turn to: EPIC Weather. On the Weather Channel." ~ Andy 'muthafokin' Moore

Lets watch Dom promise joining the Armed Forces, then back out 5 minutes later.

DOM:
I would be willing to enlist, unlike you, point proven .I said it in 2001 and my stance hasn't changed, If somebody attacks American on our soil and gets on tv or net and says come get us you Yankee p*ssies. I would join the military in 2 seconds.

Al-Qaeda isnt a country moron. They are a global organizations of scumbags.

First of all bin ladon didn't take credit for attacks in 2001, he denied it until 2004. When was he elected president of Afghanistan?2000?If so hes had a great 11 run so far... Considering hes been rumored to be in Pakistan for years, he doesn't fit into either of my criteria's.

Dom's daily to do list:

1- Kiss his "wife" on his way out of his house
2- Blame everything on Obama
3- Give no credit to Obama, even when Bin Laden, al-Awlaki, and Gaddafi were taken care of
3- Dump all his work on his secretary
4- Twitter, facebook for 2 hours
5- Post on Yankee/Jets/Knicks blogs
6 - Read conservative blogs and watch Fox
7- Select items from said sources that he lift and pass on as his own
8- Get schooled on his ignorance everyday
9- Spray tan so he's ready to club 24/7/365 for the next epic party that he will attend

Click Here to See the Profile for vicman Click here to Send vicman a Private Message Find more posts by vicman Add vicman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message add to multiple quote reply: Reply w/Quote